The number of people interested in living more sustainably in Toronto is on the rise, but rooftop solar power rarely gets enough attention in Canada. There are about 40,000 solar rooftops in Canada, while this country has more potential, including a lot of sunlight and plenty of land.
In comparison, the number of solar rooftops in Germany is 20 times higher than in Canada. Some countries like Vietnam have introduced a feed-in tariff program offering financial incentives to homeowners or businesses. Certainly, in the Toronto real estate market, renters have little incentive to spend money on installing renewable energy systems. But what about those homeowners who care about the climate crisis? If you are part of this group, these important tips for installing solar panels in Toronto will help you, so keep reading!
The good news for homeowners in Toronto is that investing in solar panels will reduce your carbon footprint and lower your energy bills. Solar power is one of the best ways to help Canada achieve energy independence goals. Let’s review some of the benefits of installing solar panels in Toronto houses.
The benefits of installing solar panels
- Clearly, by installing solar panels, you can limit the price of your utility bills. When you make a one-time investment to install solar panels, you’ll pay a modest price for electricity for a while! For years to come, you will consistently save money on your electricity bill.
- Installing solar panels in Toronto means you provide your own clean sustainable energy. So, you won’t be dependent on any third party for energy.
- Recent studies showed that solar-equipped Toronto homes sell faster and for a higher price than non-solar homes. In other words, the value of solar power systems will be calculated and added to the value of the house for sale. So, it is a perfect way to increase your home value before selling.
- In comparison with coal or natural gas, solar panels produce 5 to 10 times fewer carbon emissions. Installing solar panels in your Toronto house means using fewer fossil fuels. So, you will be helping to reduce the effects of global climate change.
- One of the interesting advantages is that the residential solar panel doesn’t require a lot of maintenance. Once installed, they don’t need much effort or cost and are extremely low-maintenance. You should just make sure that the panels get regular cleaning and don’t allow dirt to accumulate.
How Much Does it Cost to Install Solar Panels for Toronto Houses?
There is no doubt that solar panels will reduce your total utility costs in the long run, but mostly some people are worried about the initial costs. Let me ask you a question: Did you know that the cost of solar panels for your Toronto house is cheaper than the new iPhone? Besides, the cost of installing solar panels in Toronto has decreased 50% just in the past five years, thanks to technological advancement.
Since the initial costs are one of the main concerns of Toronto homeowners for installing solar power systems, let’s take a closer look at these costs. First of all, you should know that the costs are different depending on Different factors. Some factors are the location of your house, the roof type, the size of solar panels, power consumption, etc. It’s quite substantial, but it’s a one-time cost. So, you should first calculate the size and space required to install the solar system.
The average cost of installing a solar system in Ontario in 2021 is $2.46 per watt. To calculate the installation cost you should multiply the size of your system in watts by 2.46. However, remember that this is a rough estimate and the final price could be vary based on your equipment and installers.
In the case of evaluating the kind of solar system to install, you should divide your annual energy consumption (kWh) by the equivalent full sunlight hours (h) each year.
Aesthetic of solar panels for Toronto houses
It seems that another main concern that keeps Torontonians from installing solar panels is that it seems unattractive to install them on the rooftop or their yard. Approximately, an average solar panel with the size of 18 sq ft can produce almost 300watts of power. However, let’s take a futuristic look at the whole story. Solar systems are relatively new technology to help the environmental crisis.
Anyway, if aesthetics is your top priority, don’t worry! You can adjust the position of the solar panels to maximize the aesthetics of your house. In the end, the important point is that you are saving money and the environment.
There are some important tips to consider for installing solar panels on your roof or on the ground. So, you should be aware of:
- The initial costs for yard installation are higher than roof installation.
- The north-facing roofs are not a good choice for installing solar panels.
- The efficiency of ground panels is higher because you can choose to install them at the optimal angle with no shading.
- The age and shape of the roof are important. It means the roof must be in good condition and a maximum of 10 years old.
- The best candidates for solar panels are the roofs with 30 to 45 degrees slopes.
- The lifespan and financial benefits of ground panels are higher than rooftop panels.
Read More : Most Expensive Rooftop Bars in Toronto
Considering all the above-mentioned tips and benefits, the final decision is yours. But remember when you decide to use the largest source of free and clean energy and install solar panels on your Toronto home, you are actually saving our planet😊.
Don’t let the initial costs discourage you because you will receive substantial returns for the next 20 to 25 years. You can ask a professional Toronto real estate agent to help you find the best company for installing the solar system in your Toronto house. Don’t rush and talk to at least three Solar Panel installers in Toronto then choose the best one. You can also ask your agent about any local and provincial solar incentives in your neighbourhood.